Frequently Asked Questions

WHAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE THERE FOR INPUT?

Three public input meetings have been scheduled throughout the process.

o The first public meeting was held after the existing and future conditions report was completed. The public was asked to identify and discuss issues and opportunities to make transportation in east Rapid City safer and more efficient.

o The second public meeting will be held after the alternatives analysis report is complete. The meeting is scheduled for February 28, 2019. The public will be asked to discuss, evaluate, and refine possible improvement strategies.

o The third public meeting will be held after the draft plan is compiled, expected around spring 2019. This will be the final opportunity to submit comments on the East Rapid City Corridor Analysis Study.

Specific dates and times will be published in the Rapid City Journal and Native Sun Times and on the project website (www.eastrapidstudy.com).

Comments can be submitted by:

o Attending a public meeting and submitting comments in-person to a member of the study team.

o Visiting the website at www.eastrapidstudy.com

o Leave a comment on our Comments Page

o Sending written comments to:

Steve Grabill, Project Manager
330 Knollwood Drive
Rapid City, SD 57701-0644

WHAT IS THE STUDY’S PURPOSE?

Recent and continued growth in Rapid City has brought new development to northeast Rapid City, bringing challenges and opportunities for this portion of the City’s transportation network. Increased development has resulted in localized growth, and with it increased traffic, leading to congestion, safety issues, and multimodal (pedestrian, bicycle, and transit) needs along these corridors.

This study will evaluate existing and future conditions of the East Rapid City traffic network to develop a set of solutions.

WHAT EFFORTS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED?

Traffic count data has been collected and analysis has been completed at key intersections and along primary corridors. Additional data has been collected, preliminary mapping has been completed, and existing and future conditions have been documented. Improvement alternatives have been identified, mapped, and analyzed.

WHEN WILL IMPROVEMENTS BE MADE?

This study will provide recommendations to prioritize improvements as future short or long range projects. These will proceed as local funding and priorities allow.

HOW WILL IMPROVEMENTS BE PAID FOR?

Funding will depend on type and scale of the improvements. Most projects identified will rely on federal funding. Federal funds can be used on 80 percent of total project costs, the remaining 20 percent of project costs will need to be funded through local measures to be identified by the appropriate governmental entity at a future date.

HOW WILL INPUT THAT IS RECEIVED BE ADDRESSED?

This study was designed to incorporate public comments throughout the process through exercises on the website and at the public meetings and through written comments.

Exercises will be completed at the first two public meetings to gather input on issues, opportunities, and alternatives.

o An issues map at the first public meeting allowed the public to identify specific issues. The most significant issues identified through the technical analysis and the public meeting has been addressed through the alternatives development process.

o Keypad polling at the second meeting will allow the public to select and rank their preferred alternatives. These alternatives will be prioritized based on the technical analysis and public input received.

The study team will also compile and incorporate written comments into the final plan.

WHEN WILL THE STUDY BE COMPLETED?

The study is expected to take approximately 15 months, and should be completed in June 2019.

HOW WILL THE STUDY CONSIDER FUTURE DEVELOPMENT?

The study team is working closely with the Rapid City Planning Department and will seek input from developers to understand the types of development that could occur in East Rapid City. Traffic generated by future development has been projected and improvement recommendations will account for this added traffic.

WHAT IS BEING DONE TO ADDRESS ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES?

An Environmental Scan was completed to conduct a cursory review of potential environmental issues. Issues regarding storm water or other environmental concerns will be addressed as future projects move forward.

WHAT DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE SO FAR?

No decisions have been made so far.

© Copyright 2018 KLJ,

All Rights Reserved.